How to make the most out of visiting a career fair
The Purpose of Career Fairs
While many people believe a Career Fair is simply an opportunity to submit your résumé to numerous employers in person, the main objective of visiting one is to obtain employment. Career Fairs are essentially one of the greatest opportunities to network with hiring employers. This includes the chance to speak with industry leaders about your field of choice.
Career Fair Etiquette
Remember, the moment you walk into the Career Fair, you are being observed. Appear professionally dressed, confident, and prepared. Professional attire is required; however, choose comfortable and lightweight clothing to avoid overheating after long periods of walking and standing.
As you approach employers, be prepared to introduce yourself and, if asked, provide your 30-second commercial or elevator pitch. An elevator pitch answers the prompt, “Tell Me About Yourself.” You should have prepared a few sentences describing yourself, your work history, and your intentions regarding employment with their organization. Remember to share professional information only!
Career Fair Tips
- Before the Career Fair
- Prepare/bring plenty of your résumés
- Research companies in attendance
- Be prepared for an interview on the spot
- Stay hydrated! Bring a small bottle of water
- During the Career Fair
- Remember, you only get one shot to make a great first impression
- Look approachable, engaged, and do not forget to smile
- Check your appearance prior to introducing yourself
- Have a firm handshake and maintain eye contact
- Speak clearly with a pleasant tone
- Retrieve a business card from each employer
- Do not monopolize a recruiter’s time
- Always speak with the recruiter before taking any goodies from their table
- After the Career Fair
- Send out thank you cards immediately that contain some reminders of your conversation at the career fair
- Review your LinkedIn profile for accuracy
- Address any critiques you received in regards to your portfolio
- If encouraged, reach out to recruiters you met using LinkedIn
Upcoming Career Fair at SPC
The St. Petersburg College SP/Gibbs Campus is hosting a Career Fair on Thursday, March 5, 2020, from 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm. It will be in the SS building’s lobby. Employers attending include, R’Club Child Care, Inc., Chick-Fil-A, YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg, New Western Acquisitions, U.S. Border Patrol, Just Grillin’, and others.
To view a full list of employers, log into your Handshake account via MySPC.