Student success in career services

Front of Tarpon Springs Entrance Arch

My name is Kelicia Jones, and I am the Administrative Intern here at St. Petersburg College. I am currently working in the Workforce Hub with Career Services, while simultaneously obtaining my Associates Degree in Business Administration. I was a dual enrollment student at SPC during my senior year of high school and decided to continue my education here after graduating in 2013. Yes, this is eight years later. I believe that utilizing Career Services as a resource earlier within my schooling would have allowed me to find my major sooner. Nonetheless, I have learned my lesson and I am glad to be able to present student success in career services with these helpful tips!

St Petersburg College provides a center for Career Services to help guide students towards their career path. Some students, like myself, can be undecided on which career path they want or which professional sector they are interested in. This can cause students to waste so much time taking unnecessary courses and signing up for programs they truly may not need.

For this reason, it is important to utilize Career Services and the tools they provide, making it easier to find and prepare for your career.

Career Preparation

Career Services can help you save time and money by choosing the right path. They can also help you begin and build connections in your interested field of study.

• Career Coach: Helps you make decisions about your future career goals and education plans.
  • Informational Interviewing: Offers meetings with someone for insight on the experience or knowledge about a company/career.
  • Job Shadowing: allows observation of professionals as they work to see if you are interested or fit for the career/position.
  • Community Events: Held to assist in the networking process in relevance to your desired industry.

Employment Preparation

Now after you’ve completed all academic requirements you can start preparing for employment opportunities. Career Services provides workshops and platforms to assist students in getting ready for the real world.

• Optimal Resume: a management tool used to create resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and even practicing interviewing
  • Mock Interviews: practice with professionals to help improve interviewing skills and ease nervousness
  • Hire SPC Titans: an employment site for job and internship postings

I wish I recognized the planning systems many years ago, and then maybe I could have realized that the route I was taking was not the best fit for me. I have been taught the importance of a cover letter, the appropriate way to format a resume, the value of researching a job, and the need for personal branding. I may have missed out on some of these things before, but during my internship experience here at SPC I‘ve gained a lot more knowledge. I would like to give special Thank you to Aundra Williams and Carissa Roldan for providing me with the opportunity to work with them this semester. Their passion and drive for student achievement provides a wonderful opportunity for student success in career services!

Are you ready for an internship?

Now that you’ve been given some insight into SPC’s great internship opportunities, please review our FAQ Section in order to fully grasp the complete internship process.

Hire SPC Titans is our customizable online tool for career and internship opportunities. There you can discover new employment opportunities that are right for you based on your major, interests, and skills. Take a moment to explore SPC’s Handshake portal today