An internship is an exciting way to gain experience in your field of study before, or even after, you graduate. Getting an internship may seem overwhelming, but St. Petersburg College has many resources to help. Many student have questions regarding internships including:
- How can an internship benefit me?
- How do I go about finding an internship?
- Who’s in my area? When will I have time to look?
- How will I balance it all?
If you’re looking for an internship, or you just want to explore future options, then our Internship Expo is a must attend event!
At the Internship Expo you can:
· Meet local employers
· Explore opportunities for internships and future careers paths
· Engage with career professionals during interactive breakout sessions
Breakout Sessions include:
- Disney College Program and Professional Internships
- Maximize LinkedIn
- How do I get an Internship?
- CareerSource: What we can do for you!
- The Key to a Great Interview and how to Follow-up
- How do I make my Soft Skills less Squishy?
According to the “The Employment Mismatch” from The Chronicle, “Employers want new graduates to have real-world experience. Internships and work during college matter most: Employers said that each of those was about four times as important as college reputation, which they rated least important.” This study was given to thousands of human resources professionals, management, and executives within the past few years. The chart below indicates where each set of employers ranked academic and experiential skills – skills that you can hone at the expo.
There will be over 20 companies in attendance, so come dressed professionally. Need to polish that look a bit? Students, stop in The Ready Room after signing in. Check your appearance, practice your elevator speech, and grab a mint for that fresh finish.
This is an amazing opportunity for current students, alumni, and the community to speak with hiring managers and recruiters! They can help you secure an internship in your current field. If you’re still unsure of your major, don’t pass up this chance to connect for informational interviewing. This can help with making a career decision.
Some of the fields employers represent include:
- Business Administration, Management and Finance
- Computer and Information Technology
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Sustainability Management
- Environmental Science
- Digital Arts – Graphic Design & Video Production
- Social Work
- Public Safety
There will also be SPC representatives from Career Services and CareerSource Pinellas in attendance that can assist you with your internship and academic questions. Don’t miss it!
A special thank you to Student Ambassador, Heather Haviland, for your contribution to this blog article.