Titan Student Success Story

Two business people shaking hands.

From SPC Student to Career Professional

Hello, my name is Jennifer Johnston and I am currently the student support specialist at the St. Petersburg College Seminole campus.

Jennifer Johnston M.Ed. Ed.S., Student Support Specialist at St. Petersburg College Seminole Campus

I thought it would be an important piece to share my “student success story,” most importantly, one that started here at St. Petersburg College. In fall 2011, I began my degree as an early admissions student. I graduated from Seminole High School in 2012 while I simultaneously completed my first year of college. As a Presidential Scholar, I finished my Associate’s degree at the Seminole campus at no cost to me.

Thereafter, I transferred to the University of South Florida and graduated in 2016 with a B.S. degree in Secondary Social Science Education. Working with students, I soon came to realize that I enjoyed helping my students navigate through decision-making more than I liked teaching them civics and economics, so I continued my education at the University of Florida.

Flashing forward to May 2019, I received a Master’s degree in Education as well as an Education Specialist degree in Mental Health and School Counseling. In addition to my counseling program’s coursework, I was able to teach human growth and development to undergraduate students, enriching my life as well as the 250 students I taught from 2017 to 2019.

So I bet you’re wondering, why did I keep going? How did I figure out what I wanted to do? Quite frankly, there were nights studying, working, and lesson planning when I wondered myself. But I promise you, every single sleepless night was worth it.

At SPC, I had faculty and advisors that believed in me and inspired me daily to channel my strengths, and more importantly, to persevere. I not only get to do what I love, but I also get to learn along with staff and students who have the same drive and passion as me.

As I look back on where my journey began, I am astonished at how far I have come, and all of the people who had faith in me to live out my goals and dreams.

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference”   – Robert Frost (1916)