Dr. Kevin Gordon, provost of St. Petersburg College’s Downtown and Midtown centers, welcomed more than 40 local businesses to the Downtown Center for an internship workshop in June.
“Internships create economic development for our students,” said Gordon.
The St. Pete Chamber of Commerce Grow Smarter Workshop: Internship was sponsored by Duke Energy, Destination Better and Bite.
The workshop focused on economic inclusiveness through internships and how to meet the needs of the workforce through partnerships with educational institutions.
St. Pete Chamber of Commerce member and Vice Chair of Grow Smarter Ryan Griffin reminded the internship workshop attendees the importance of collaborating with local educational institutions.
“The number one driver for smart economic growth is through our educational systems, like SPC, Eckerd, and USFSP,” said Griffin. “We cannot claim success until everyone is a part of it.”
The mission for the workshop was to develop a sustainable program that creates a streamlined process and links local university and college students with intern positions at Chamber member businesses.
The workshop was led by:
- Jacob Wortock, SPC Workforce and Internship Coordinator
- Melena Postolowski, Eckerd College Director of Internships and Employer Relations
- Amanda Peters, University of South Florida St. Petersburg Employer Relations Coordinator
Also at the workshop, a panel of business leaders gave personal insight on developing an internship program. The panel speakers included:
- Tarah Harkins, Director of Campus Recruiting and Pipeline Development at Raymond James
- Alicia Branon, Recruitment Program Manager at Southwest Florida Water Management District
- Ryan McNulty, Talent Acquisition Partner/Campus Relations at Tech Data
SPC Internship Program
The college connects students with businesses that can provide valuable work experiences that can prepare them for their chosen profession. Active learning opportunities like internships are critical to student success.
SPC allows employers to post ads for internships as well as job opportunities so businesses can find the perfect employee or intern. More information is available on the college’s website or contact email@example.com or 727-341-3019.