#GetCertifiedSPC – Cybersecurity

Cybersecurity Word Cloud

Curious how St. Petersburg College alumni have used their skill sets, industry certifications, and college degrees to land great jobs? Do you want to know where their SPC Titan education has taken them?  Check out this alumni story and #GetCertifiedSPC through SPC’s FREE certification opportunity for high-performing career and technical education students. MAKE MORE out of your skills with a Cybersecurity Associate in Science degree.

SPC alumnus Adam McCarty was offered his first job in Technology with Lair Services, Inc. a managed services provider well before graduation. He is now a Service Engineer overseeing all of the day-to-day IT operations for a powerful Lair Services client, in Downtown St. Petersburg. Learn more about his path below, and make sure to check out our previous Titan Alumni post with Emily Varjassy, Cybersecurity Certificate graduate.

SPC Titan Alumni Employment & Academic Profile

SPC Graduate: James (Adam) McCarty

Employer: Lair Services, Inc. – a managed services provider (subcontractor for client in Downtown St. Petersburg)

Title: Service Engineer (Technician level)

Length of Time in Position: nine months

Industry Certifications: CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+

Education: Associate in Science in Cybersecurity, St. Petersburg College, December 2017

Cybersecurity Certification from St. Petersburg College Helped Him Land a Job Before Graduation

“Just before earning my Associate in Science degree in Cybersecurity with SPC, I began working for Lair Services, Inc.  This is a managed IT service provider with over 100 client accounts ranging from small to large businesses in the Tampa Bay area. My CompTIA Network+ and Security+ certifications helped me land the job before graduation. I currently work full-time on site with our second largest client, a reputable accounting firm in downtown St. Petersburg. As the only on-site technical support for this business, I am responsible for all of their day-to-day IT operations. That ranges from providing cybersecurity training to their employees and (clients), remotely troubleshooting issues, installing software updates, as well as managing our terminal server connections, in-house file-server, and firewall settings.”

“My certifications coupled with my experience in hospitality (where I developed customer service skills) played a big role in why I was chosen for my position over other candidates. Being personable is essential in both industries! When people are hungry, or their internet does not work – it is easy for them to get upset. But when you are pleasant and you feed them, or fix their computer, everyone is back to being your friend!”

How to Successfully Get Certified

“The classroom provides the foundation for your certification exams, but it is just not possible for the depth of each competency to be gone over in an 8-week class. You must go further on your own before you sit for a certification exam, if you want to succeed. I used a lot of supplemental resources like YouTube, forums, and the Exam Cram guides available at SPC’s libraries.”

Building up my Industry Certification Portfolio

“I may earn my bachelor’s degree in the future, but for now I’ll continue to build my portfolio of IT certifications and gain further experience in the field. I am studying for EC-Councils’ Certified Ethical Hacker (certification) right now.”

Get Certified through SPC

Have you received a FREE #GetCertifiedSPC invitation from your professor? Did you schedule your exam date? Do not wait – there is still time! Email meyer.julia@spcollege.edu. Let us get you in the certification pipeline so you can MAKE MORE out of your skills with certification!

If you would like to share your career progression as an alumni with other Titans, including how your education and opportunities (like FREE industry certifications) at SPC helped you get there, email Julia Meyer, Certification Testing Coordinator with SPC’s  Career Connections to make it happen.

Follow us on Twitter at #careerspc, #spcintern, #workforcespc

One thought on “#GetCertifiedSPC – Cybersecurity

1. Another great conversation with a #GetCertifiedSPC Alum, Adam is an awesome example of how the skills we learn in our prior industries (in his case, hospitality) and our latest skills (his CompTIA Network+ & Security+ industry certifications) help position us for new opportunities by combining the best of both skillsets! Now, I’m ready to hear from more Titan’s in the world of (Technology) work.