SPC Music of the Week

This week’s featured student: Maxwell Crespo

Music Selection: Better This Time

SPC Music of the Week features student/alumni music creations to promote internal and external awareness of the SPC Music programs.

About the Work: Producer’s Perspective

The inspiration came from just kind of jamming around. We found a vibe we liked and decided to record it. I believe we started with bass, drums and some guitar that I ended up cutting.
The biggest challenge was the original jam was over 20 minutes long and all over the place arrangement wise, so I had the painstaking task of editing it down to a four minute song while figuring out the arrangement on the fly.

Impact of SPC Music

The MIRA-AS program helped give me a solid foundation and allowed me to work and practice in a real studio. That experience, and all the time I spend in the studio, has made my professional career and life so much easier. All the little mistakes you make, troubleshooting, and just knowing how to act when working with artists has helped me tremendously 
The future is bright. I’m DJing at some of the smaller clubs in Tampa and St. Pete now, and I am playing a lot of my own music. In the future, I will play festivals, bigger clubs and tour. Be on the look out for KRSPO!

Maxwell Crespo
Maxwell Crespo

Study Music and Music Technology at SPC

Connect with our Music Department today! Complete the following survey questionnaire to learn more about our program and clarify your goals. You will receive a custom detailed email response with faculty, advising, and financial aid contacts, and guidance towards next steps. https://web.spcollege.edu/survey/30265

SPC Music MIRA Start Here

About Music at SPC

Music AA Transfer 

SPC’s Music and Music Education AA Transfer degrees (60 credits) are two-year programs that prepare students for transfer to University music programs in Performance, Music Education (Band, Chorus, Orchestra, General Music), and Music Therapy. Students earn Music State Common Perquisite credits in music lessons, music ensembles, music/aural theory, and student recital. Students also earn all 36 general education liberal arts credits.

Music Industry Recording Arts (MIRA) AS Degree 

SPC’s Music Industry Recording Arts (MIRA) AS degree (64 credits) is a two-year workforce program with technology focus. It prepares students to work as producers, audio engineers, composers/songwriters in the music industry. The core curriculum includes courses in digital audio workstations, live sound engineering, studio recording techniques, critical listening, legal issues in music, practical music business, and more.

Audio Engineering and Production (AUDIOPE) Certificate

SPC’s Audio Engineering and Production (AUDIOPE) Certificate (24 credits) is a financial aid eligible certificate that includes instruction in digital audio workstations, studio recording techniques, acoustics, live sound and professional audio production.  The stand-alone certificate prepares workforce internships and employment. The 24 credits also count towards the MIRA-AS degree.

Donation Opportunities

As a non-profit organization serving our community, charitable contributions are vital to our mission to educating students and engaging our community.  Your support makes performances, art shows, and concerts possible and provides invaluable experiences for our students.

Donations impact our music students by providing:
(1) Scholarships for bonus elective courses
(2) Loaner hardware/software kits to those in need
(3) Expansion of facilities

Those wishing to donate to SPC Music and SPC Humanities and Fine Arts should contact Department Chair Nathan Muehl muehl.nathan@spcollege.edu