A Message From Dr. Tonjua Williams

Dear SPC Family,

Like you, I have been watching the scenes of destruction and devastating floods caused by Hurricane Harvey in Texas over the past several days.

I know many of you have family and friends that have been affected by this terrible situation. Along with the Board of Trustees and the whole college community, I send my thoughts to everyone who is suffering from the effects of this storm. I also want to remind you that the college offers counseling and referrals to all students, faculty and staff.

As Floridians, we know all too well the pain and anxiety that can occur during and after severe weather events like the one happening to our neighbors across the Gulf of Mexico. We also understand how important it is to reach out and lend our assistance to others in their time of need. I’m heartened to see the way people in Texas, and across the nation, are working together to help each other. It gives me hope and makes me reflect on the culture of caring we share here at SPC.

The college’s Student Life and Leadership team are accepting donations of bottled water, non-perishable food, toiletries, clothing and bedding supplies. Donations may be dropped off at any Student Life and Leadership office through 2 p.m. Friday, Sept. 1. The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army are also accepting donations.

Please reach out if you are affected by this storm and know that we are here to support you.  

Sincerely,

Tonjua Williams,
President, St. Petersburg College

About Jeff Cavanagh

Jeff Cavanagh spent his freshman year at St. Petersburg Junior College back in the early 70s before enlisting in the United States Navy. Soon after, he attended Jacksonville University on a Navy ROTC scholarship. After college, he was commissioned and became a qualified Surface Warfare Officer spending the next 22 years honing his skills as a ship-handler and expert recruiter before retiring in 1994. Jeff expresses a deep sense of pride in St. Petersburg College due to connections that go back many years. His father, Tom Cavanagh, was a career Air Force fighter pilot and combat veteran who taught Geography and Western Civilization at St. Petersburg Junior College in the 60’s and 70’s.