New Geek Bar gives students additional tech support

St. Petersburg College’s Geek Bar is a new program piloted this summer on the St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus where student technology interns use their skills to help students solve common computer issues.

SPC Geek Bar

Geek Bar helps students solve computer problems

A collaborative effort between the College of Computer and Information Technology (CCIT) Internship Program and the St. Petersburg/Gibbs library staff, SPC students can visit the Geek Bar for technical support like:

• Software installation
  • Virus removal
  • Computer checkup
  • Windows updates
  • Microsoft Office help
  • Web help
  • Phone and tablet help

Whether students are in face to face, blended or 100 percent online classes, computers are an essential tool and integral to successfully completing coursework at St. Petersburg College. While SPC currently provides free software and online assistance via the Student Help Desk, offering additional support is an added benefit for students.

When the question about challenges students encounter on the campus was posed, Lynn McCormick-McDonald, Library Program Director, explained how students frequently approach the library staff with questions about uploading documents and downloading software onto their personal computers.  Additionally, while the basic computer literacy course addresses some information – students still encounter computer viruses.

Each semester CCIT produces high qualified talented students who intern with various employers throughout the Tampa Bay area.  During the last year, the question was posed: “Why don’t we use some of this talent at the college?”  And so, this spring campuses began utilizing student interns to work in technical support.

The Geek Bar was another effort to effectively use our student talent. The pilot program has been successful and is looking to expand to the other campuses this fall.  Stay tuned for more information.

5 thoughts on “New Geek Bar gives students additional tech support

1. My new laptop says I need to install a hard drive disk. It was working fine all summer. Can I bring it in somewhere for help?

2. Hello Gibbs geek bar,
    I need your help please, my home PC nor the lap top opening the to the SPC login. I can open the email and other resources available. May I bring my laptop and PC to you tomorrow and pick up by Friday so I can work on my lessons over the weekend. I’m trying to do as much as I can during the week hours. But just in case. Anything you can do to help would definitely be appreciated.

1. Hi Marilyn,

Sorry, that we are just getting back to you. If you are still having issues with your computer, please feel free to stop by the Geek Bar so they can take a look at it for you. The Gibbs Campus Geek Bar location is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the library on the second floor. You can contact them directly at Gibbsgeekbar@spcollege.edu.