SPC Study Abroad Student Learns about Turtle Rehabilitation in Australia!

Turtle Rehabilitation

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to study turtle rehabilitation in a country as beautiful as Australia. The experiences that I gained from this trip are things I could never have experienced anywhere else in the world. I sincerely hope that I am able to go back some day.

Turtle Rehabilitation During our time in Cairns we spent the majority of the days working with Cairns Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Centre. This organization rehabilitates the turtles in two locations. We were able to visit both. Their location on the mainland serves as a hospital for the turtles that are very sick. Once their conditions improve they are transported to their second location on Fitzroy Island. There is a 45 minute boat ride to get from the mainland to Fitzroy Island. I thoroughly enjoyed spending my time feeding the turtles and cleaning their tanks. It was very rewarding to see each of their personalities shine through. They love shell scratches!

A healthy diet, clean tanks, and a safe environment to heal definitely do benefit the turtle’s overall health. I admire this organization and its members for facilitating each of these things. On the days we were not working with the turtles, we went on several different excursions. My personal favorite was the snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef. We also visited the Atherton Tablelands, Daintree Rainforest, and Kuranda Koala Gardens. I was amazed by Australia’s super unique wildlife. I fell in love with every marsupial that I encountered which included: koalas, wombats, kangaroos, and wallabies. In addition to being in Australia during humpback whale migration, we were also there during baby bat season! On our second to last day in Cairns we found several trees that were filled with baby flying foxes. They were absolutely adorable. Turtle Rehabilitation Turtle Rehabilitation

This trip served as a great reminder to me as to why I chose to attend the Veterinary Technology Program at SPC. I feel very motivated to return home and begin the next semester of classes. It is my goal to learn as much as I can about as many animals as I can. Hopefully one day I will be able to care for animals living in rehabilitation facilities such as Cairns Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Centre.”-Kristen Reints, SPC Student, Australia Vet Summer 2018

Thank you for sharing Kristen!

Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you!

blog.spcollege.edu/international | 727-341-4731 | studyabroad@spcollege.edu