SPC student creates communication solutions on first day in Spain

Navigating a solo day in Madrid, exploring Spanish towns, and finding a beautiful beach in Biarritz, France during study abroad in Spain.

– Spencer Phillips, SPC Student, Spain Program, June 2019 

In Spain, I have been opened up to the culture and the language of Salamanca. It has definitely been an experience I won’t forget. I have learned so much in just two weeks. I am still not fluently speaking the language, but I have definitely learned how to say the important things.

My first day was in Madrid. I was all by myself because I got there a day before the program started. Considering I had never been in a foreign country by myself before, I was a little scared but at the same time I was ready to take on this new experience.

Luckily I met a guy on the plane who was doing a study abroad trip as well but he had been here a few times before. He ended up helping me find a Hostel and a taxi to get me there. It seemed like everybody was nice in Spain, which I appreciated.

While I was waiting to get checked into the hostel, which took a little too long, I met some very nice people. There was a very nice older lady who was waiting with me and she only spoke Spanish. Unfortunately I really only knew a couple of words but I had my Spanish dictionary out and I was trying to talk to her. She was very nice about it and made my first day in a foreign country very pleasant. I do have to say hostels aren’t the greatest places but for $25, what can you expect?

When we started the Spanish immersion program, I was really surprised with how busy we were and it wasn’t all educational–we did so many more things that I really enjoyed. I loved going to all the little cities in Spain to experience the culture of other places.

Surfers in Biarritz, France.
Photo by Vorlod, Wikimedia Commons [CC BY-SA 4.0].

My favorite excursion was to Biarritz. This was a nice little beach town in France–it was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I got off the bus and sat down on a bench overlooking the city, the beach, and some of the mountains. I really didn’t want to move but I had to try out the beaches in France. The water was very cold but once you got in it really felt amazing. It was so clear and smelled so much better than any beach in Florida.

My experience in Spain has been amazing and I would recommend it to anybody who’s thinking about studying abroad.

Thank you for sharing Spencer!

Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you!

blog.spcollege.edu/international | 727-341-4735 | studyabroad@spcollege.edu

Cover image: Vista de Madrid. Photo by Tomás Fano, Wikimedia Commons [CC BY-SA 2.0].