Drawing, digital arts and internships #spcinspires

business header art

St. Petersburg College Digital Arts student Stephanie Buss completed an internship for drawing during the spring semester.

“I was originally tentative to attend SPC,” Buss said. “But I found that the staff and professors are very dedicated to their students, making sure they learn and succeed.”

Stephanie Buss has her own style. Her favorite SPC Professor Ragan Brown has helped her realize her potential.

Buss spent the semester working for Individuality LTD. She was responsible for illustrating adult-themed coloring books. Such coloring books have reached the top seller list on Amazon according to The Guardian. As an artist working within this expanding field, it has benefited Buss greatly.

“I had interactions with another intern who helped me,” she said. “He took my illustrations and put the books together. He has done some really great work with them!”

Buss had earlier withdrawn from UCF. Questioning going back to college, she found her answer in SPC’s Digital Arts program.

“There wasn’t an option for me to get an illustration degree at the time I was looking into colleges, and I figured Digital Arts at SPC was a good start,” she said.

SPC’s Internship program provides a variety of opportunities that encompass an array of degrees. From Digital Arts to Computer Science, SPC’s career specialists work for students to help create an outstanding resume as well as put together a striking portfolio. On top of this assistance, Buss also received a helping hand from SPC’s Digital Arts faculty during her internship.

Stephanie Buss uses digital art to enhance her drawing and make it come to life.

“I was never really sure about my ability or if my art was good enough,” she said. “Professor Brown has really helped me believe in what I can do as an artist.”

Brown’s insights, critiques and opinions helped Buss strengthen her professional portfolio.

“She has also helped me learn as a student and as a person,” Buss said.

Buss graduated with her associate degree in Spring 2016. She plans to take a break from school and later continue her art career at the Academy of Art where she’ll pursue an illustration degree. SPC will always be an important step for Buss.

“It’s worth it as long as you are sure you know what you want to do,” she said.