Phil Kuligowski Expresses Gratitude to St. Petersburg College

Contributing Writer

After completing my Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology at the University Of South Florida (USF), I reapplied at SPC for the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA-CT) Program.

I am 23 years old and have always had a passion for anything IT. I think my fascination of the field comes from always having a different challenge and a multitude of answers for that challenge. As you can probably tell, computers have been a part of my life for a long time. I think my passion for computers stems from my love of video games when I was younger. I still spend some free time playing video games but as my career in the IT field progresses, I find myself with less time playing and more time learning.

SPC has been extremely supportive of my advancement in the IT field. Upon completing my bachelor’s degree, I was able to get support through the HITT program to work towards my CCNA Certification. Having student loans, little money, and no prior work experience made it extremely difficult to accomplish much of anything. With the help, a passion for networking, and excellent career advisement I was able to complete my certifications and get superior support as I applied for various jobs. Rosaria Pipetone, my career counselor gave me great practice before my interviews which helped me work on my presentation and overall business acumen. Having someone to practice with before interviews and presentations allowed me to work out the kinks and become more comfortable with information.

As of recent I obtained a career at Cisco Systems as an Associate Systems Engineer. It was a rigorous process having done 3 separate interviews on different occasions and on various topics. The application process itself took a while as I applied for the position back in December 2013 and didn’t start the interview process until March of 2014. For those looking for careers in the IT field, there are some things which I have found to be invaluable. These things include: Networking with others in the field, volunteering your time for experience, applying for everything, and staying positive and persistent.