St. Petersburg College’s Model UN team received the Outstanding Delegation Award at NMUN Galapagos this past January. The conference was held from January 7-11 in San Cristobal Island in the Galapagos Islands. SPC students represented the country of Ukraine.
In an effort to help solve critical global environmental problems, students from around the world met in the Galapagos, which is a UNESCO world heritage site. There was simply no better location to hold this conference given the variety of endemic species that call this island home and the protections that are necessary to keep them on this Earth for future generations. As such, students sharpened key academic skills as they engaged in extensive research, wrote position papers, drafted resolutions and made presentations.
Some committee topics addressed were:
- The Impact of Climate Change on Peace and Security
- Environmental Migration as a Concern for Peace and Security
- Management and Reduction of Waste in Urban Areas
- Development of Eco-friendly Technology for the Protection of Oceans and Seas
- Promotion of Sustainable Industrial Development and Innovation in Rural Areas
- Implementing SDG 6: Ensure Availability and Sustainable Management of Water and Sanitation for All
- Comprehensive Review of the Standards for Sites to be Included in the World Heritage List
- Community Engagement for the Protection of Cities and Towns Listed as World Heritage Sites
- Management and Control of Urbanization and Tourism in Protected Areas
- Sustainable Transportation between Urban and Rural Zones
The students who traveled were Arbnora Abdulla, Frida De La Torre Castro, Michael Sporck, Chris Stansel and Chris Kisayeh.
Besides engaging ins stimulating academic debates, students also participated in a variety of civic engagement projects throughout San Cristobal Island. Finally, students were able to enjoy some down time and enjoy the native biodiversity.
Professor Roy Slater (Lead Faculty Advisor) and Dr. Douglas Rivero traveled with the team. Additional MUN Faculty members include Dr. Roberto Loureiro, Dr. Kim Jackson and Dr. William Fleming.
Visit the SPC Model United Nations Facebook page for additional pictures from this NMUN conference and other MUN conferences.