We are very proud to announce that, for the second year in a row, the St. Petersburg College Model United Nations team received the Outstanding Delegation Award at the National Model United Nations (NMUN) Conference held on November 3 – 5 in Washington, DC. Outstanding Delegation is the highest award presented by NMUN.
Nearly 1000 college and university students from around the country and the world attended the conference. At conference, students work in committees to address regional and global issues and adopt resolutions that detail solutions to issues. Each school is assigned a country to represent, and the delegates must remain in character as they discuss issues from perspective of assigned country.
The SPC delegation represented Portugal. Twelve students were on the team, which included four early college students and one collegiate high school student.
The students spent many hours researching history of Portugal, committee topics and mandates, and position of Portugal on committee topics. The recognition they received is testament to the work they put in to be successful delegates.
Some Model United Nations committee topics addressed:
• Cybersecurity and the Threat of Cyberwarfare
• Addressing the Illicit Trafficking of Small Arms and Light Weapons
• Protection of the Environment in Areas Affected by Armed Conflict
• Safeguarding our Oceans
• Mainstreaming a Gender Perspective into all Policies and Programs of the United Nations
• Implementing Policies that Support Restorative Justice
• Nuclear Technology and Water Security
• Improving the Effectiveness of Safeguards and Verifications Mechanisms
• Minimizing the Negative Effects of Globalization
• The Social Responsibility of Multinational Corporations
• Addressing the Needs of the Internally Displaced
• Improving Housing and Food Security for Urban Refugees
SPC Model UN faculty are, besides myself, Dr. Randy Lightfoot; Dr. Douglas Rivero; Dr. Kimberly Jackson and Dr. Roberto Loureiro.
Visit the SPC Model United Nations Facebook page for pictures from DC conference and other MUN conferences.