SPC students experience regional cultures in coastal Spain (and France!)

Excursions to San Sebastian, Basque country, and the beach in Biarritz (France) during study abroad in Spain.

Considering further international study after learning Spanish in Salamanca

– Barry Russell, SPC Student, Spain Program, June 2019 

This place is glorious! Salamanca is a beautiful town with beautiful history and beautiful people. While fluent English-speakers are few and far between, the natives not only don’t bite, they actively aid you in saying what you mean. All of our excursions have been amazing as well. My favorite one was to San Sebastian and Biarritz.

Biarritz was my first experience in France and it was a fantastic one. They had what was probably the best beach I’ve ever been to. All in all, España has treated me very well and because of this experience, I am exploring an application to the University of Salamanca.

Becoming a world citizen through study abroad

– Deborah Ferguson, SPC Student, Spain Program, June 2019 

If you are interested in learning Spanish in an immersive environment and are an explorer at heart, this program is a life experience you will not forget.

Photo courtesy of Deborah Ferguson.

Not only will you learn Spanish, you will learn about a fascinating culture that is rich in history, architecture, art, and gastronomy. The Plaza Major is the town’s gathering place. Within the historic walls you will experience traditional dances, music, art, amazing tapas, even an occasional peaceful protest.

My personal favorite was spending time in San Sebastian and Biarritz, France. Not only did I practice speaking Spanish but I also heard Basque (an old language native to this area) and French. The culture in this region is rich with people that are able to speak several languages.

Those that may be apprehensive about traveling abroad, I encourage you to take the opportunity! You will be safe traveling with your group and will begin the journey of becoming a world citizen.

___

Thank you for sharing Barry and Deborah!

Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you!

blog.spcollege.edu/international | 727-341-4735 | studyabroad@spcollege.edu

Cover photo: City of Biarritz and the Atlantic Ocean, in Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France. Photo by Florian Pépellin, Wikimedia Commons, [CC BY-SA 3.0].