SPC team travels to Geneva for MUN international conference, wins award

Model UN Students share experiences of traveling to Switzerland and France and visiting the Palais des Nations

Debating with Students from All Across the World

-Kingsley Hollon-Coleman

My trip to Europe with the SPC Model United Nations Team has, undoubtedly, been the highlight of my semester. Before arriving at the conference, we had an amazing day in Paris for sightseeing. The next morning, we took a train to Geneva and settled in at the hotel. We were very privileged to sit in the assembly hall of the Palais des Nations for the opening ceremony of the conference.

The Model United Nations conference itself was thoroughly exciting and engaging. I found myself speaking far more than I expected, and I debated with students from all across the world on issues pertaining to our simulated committee. On the final evening in Geneva, our team received the award for the best small university delegation.

On the final evening in Geneva, our team received the award for the best small university delegation.

I’m extremely proud to have led such a talented group of students as head delegate, and I’m so thankful to the program’s faculty advisors for organizing these trips and providing students with the valuable skills and training to compete in conferences like these.

-Kingsley Hollon-Coleman, SPC Student, Model United Nations 2019

Prior Preparation Leads to Conference Success

-Sofia Angelini

Travelling with SPC’s Model United Nations (MUN) team was one of the most gratifying experiences I have had in my time as a student. Generous funding made it possible for our group to focus on seeing famous landmarks and tasting regional foods. SPC faculty’s commitment to our experience, from how to move around foreign cities easily to what kind of chargers to bring, ensured the trip ran smoothly. 

The photo above shows our well-prepared team on the first day at WIMUN Geneva, excited for the week ahead. The first day, when we were given the opportunity to tour the United Nations office and around Geneva, was my favorite day, as the prospect of experiencing the conference and exploring a new country was exciting.

Our team excelled at WIMUN, a testament to our professors’ dedication and expertise. Thanks to our preparation prior to the conference, our team had well-written position papers, extensive knowledge on topics discussed and conference procedure, and compromising skills. This trip will remain a favorite memory from my time at SPC and in MUN.

-Sofia Angelini, SPC Student, Model United Nations 2019

Discovering the Characteristics of a Leader

-Adam Johnson

The entirety of the trip was amazing. I was able to travel to another country, meet new people, and tour one of the cities that I dreamt about in the past. If I had to pick my favorite day, it would be the day of the General Assembly Plenary meeting at the United Nations Headquarters in Geneva.

I was able to act as a leader and advocate for a positive and sustainable future for hundreds of students and faculty. When I was selected to present my speech to the General Assembly in Geneva, it felt as if I had accomplished something that could serve a higher purpose and I could share the things that I believed in, and that was an amazing opportunity that I will always be grateful for.

Before I was a member of the Model United Nations Team, I didn’t believe that I had the characteristics of a leader, but I know now that I can be a leader if I strive to reach the goals that I set for myself.

On the day of the plenary, I was representing France, and after I gave my speech, people who lived in France told me that I gave a speech that they could be proud of and they thanked me for representing them. That was a great feeling, and I was glad that other people could appreciate the things that I had to say. 

What I enjoy most about the Model United Nations Team are the positive characteristics that come alongside the constant preparation for the conference. I learned how to give strong public speeches, I learned to be confident in traveling alone and meeting new people and most importantly, I learned how to be a leader who can confidently advocate for positive environmental change.

-Adam Johnson, SPC Student, Model United Nations 2019

The Experience of a Lifetime

-Myleena Hurtado

To say that MUN gave me an amazing experience would be a lie. It gave me the experience of a lifetime! I joined the club in spring 2019 through the recommendation of Professor Slater, and I did not know what to expect. But as always, expect the unexpected. I was able to strengthen my skills in public speaking, researching, writing, and debating. To be able to go overseas with the school this fall was an opportunity I still can’t believe I was able to experience.

Going to Paris was a dream hence why I chose this picture. But to be able to visit the UN headquarters in Geneva was the best things ever. I loved being part of an international conference and interacting with college peers from Canada, Belgium, and different parts of the world.

I definitely want to thank SPC and MUN a million times for giving me this opportunity. Because now my interest in becoming a lawyer is something I am definitely going to pursue, along with being a successful businesswoman.

-Myleena Hurtado, SPC Student, Model United Nations 2019

________________________

Thank you Kingsley, Sofia, Adam, and Myleena, for sharing your experience!