SPC student challenges her comfort zone with study abroad in Spain

A helpful host family eases the transition to Spanish language learning and new cultural awareness during study abroad in Spain.

– Jackelyn Ayala-Otero, SPC Student, Spain Program, June 2019

Studying abroad was an amazing opportunity to say the least. Spending time in a country that is culturally different allows for experiences I never imagined. Spain has always been a country I think is beautiful in its landscape and culture. When I saw the opportunity to study there, I decided to take the bull by the horns and try something that was definitely out of my comfort zone.

At first, I had no idea where Salamanca was and had never heard of it. However, after looking up many details about it I was eager to get the trip started. After only being there for a couple of days, I truly fell in love with the city and, of course, my Spanish host mom! Day by day she made everything possible and I was so glad to stay for three weeks with her.

In Plaza Mayor. Photo courtesy of
Jackelyn Ayala-Otero.

Plaza Mayor is definitely a sight to see and being able to walk through it every day was like a dream. I had to pinch myself to realize where I was. There are many activities to do in Salamanca, such as visiting the cathedrals and even attending a salsa class! A highlight was watching fireworks with the group and really enjoying time with each other.

I didn’t think I could become close with a group like this before, however, everyone is so friendly and we all here for one reason: to learn and better our Spanish language skills. These life changing experiences are something I’ll cherish forever and I know for sure the friendships will last as well.

Thank you for sharing Jackelyn!

Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you!

blog.spcollege.edu/international | 727-341-4735 | studyabroad@spcollege.edu

Cover photo: Catedral Salamanca. Public Domain, Wikimedia Commons.