Review the step-by-step instructions below to apply to Study Abroad at SPC. Before you apply, carefully review the details and costs of the program. Do not purchase your airline ticket, housing arrangements, medical insurance or other related expenses associated with your study abroad program until you receive an official notice from the Center for International Programs.
Before you apply, please review Study Abroad Qualifications.
How to apply: step-by-step
If you are not already an SPC student, apply to SPC and pay the $40 application fee. Once you have completed the SPC application process, you may start the Study Abroad application process.
- Meet with an academic advisor to review any or all prerequisites needed to enroll in the study abroad course, as well as any other factors (holds on your account, outstanding remedial courses, override needed to re-take the course, to complete a My Learning Plan, etc.) that might hinder enrollment.
- Submit our online Study Abroad application.
- Schedule an interview with the study abroad lead professor.
- Be approved by the Center for International Programs
- Submit a copy of your valid passport (Passport expiration date must be valid at least 6 months beyond study abroad program end date).
If you don’t have one, you must obtain your passport as soon as possible. The Center for International Programs must receive a copy of your passport within 30 days of the application date. Read the application package for information about passports, insurance coverage and program participation terms. Information on first-time and renewal applications for U.S. passports can be found online.
- Do you require a visa to visit the country? Many non-U.S. citizens require visas to travel to other countries. Click here to view the link. It is your responsibility to (a) confirm if you require a visa to travel to your Study Abroad country, submit documentation providing written confirmation on whether you will or will not require a visa for your Study Abroad program (b) apply for one if necessary (c) submit a copy of the visa to International Programs at least 90 days prior to your Study Abroad program departure date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have viewed the embassy link above, please contact the embassy of the destination country as soon as possible to confirm visa requirements. Failure to obtain a required visa will prevent entry into the destination country. If at the time of program departure it is discovered a visa is necessary and you do not have one, you will forfeit participation in the program and all fees (lodging, airfare, tuition, etc.) may not be refunded. Please contact our office with notification of whether or not you will be required to apply for a visa, providing written documentation of this information (phone contact at embassy, explicit information from the embassy website, etc.). Visa applications can be a lengthy process. Please confirm the time required for processing a visa application with the embassy to ensure you will still be able to participate in the program.
After your application is approved
Once your application is approved, you are required to take the following steps:
- Pay all deposits and fees by the deadlines provided by the Center for International Programs
- Attend all mandatory pre-departure and class meetings
- Submit all required forms and documentation
- Obtain all immunizations required by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). In addition, participants are strongly encouraged to get all immunizations and preventive treatments recommended for the particular country and regions through which they will be traveling.
- Additional faculty recommendations may be required by study abroad faculty
Once your study abroad experience is completed you will be required to attend all mandatory re-entry and class meetings and submit a program evaluation.