SPC Prof Says You Can’t Outrun Your Fork

you can't outrun your fork book cover

St. Petersburg College Adjunct Professor Dr. Anya Szigeti believes that one’s body is a temple, so it should be given only the best offerings, and no amount of exercise can overrule bad eating. In her new book, You Can’t Outrun Your Fork, Szigeti addresses proper dietary choices and why they are important.

Szigeti, who teaches Anatomy & Physiology I & II labs at SPC’s Seminole Campus, graduated from the United States Coast Guard Academy with a bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering and earned her MBA from Grantham University. Her doctorate is in Chiropractic Medicine with a certification in Acupuncture from the National University of Health Sciences. She has also completed the 300-hour coursework for two post-doctorate diplomate programs in Internal Medicine (DABCI) and Nutrition (DACBN).  She is the owner of Back to Health Functional Medicine and is the Program Coordinator for a nutrition education program, Healthy Eating for a Healthy Waistline.

All about the choices

In You Can’t Outrun Your Fork, Szigeti stresses that if people make smart, healthy decisions regarding food on a daily basis, they will empower themselves to live healthy lives. She hopes that people will use her book as a guide to clear up the confusion that surrounds nutrition and empower them to take control of their own health.

“As a result of my own health struggles I made significant adjustments to my diet,” she said. “I originally thought that as long as I exercised, I could eat and drink whatever my heart desired, but I found out the hard way that I was very wrong.”

Szigeti’s book offers recipes that focus on food as medicine. She says that there are many foods and herbs with medicinal qualities, including “superfoods”, which have a high nutrient content, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.

“Our health affects every aspect of our life, and the food choices we make affect our health,” Szigeti said. “Therefore, making healthy food decisions positively impacts our health and poor dietary choices negatively impact our health.”

Baby steps

Szigeti believes the keys to making any lasting changes are to first understand why you need to make them, and then create a plan to make small changes every day that lead you towards your ultimate goal.  

“This strategy works across the board, from improving dietary choices to starting a new workout routine,” she said. “This can be applied to just about any new habit you would like to form. Clarify the “why”, have a game plan and focus on progress, not perfection.”

You Can’t Outrun Your Fork is available on Amazon on Friday, October 23 for one-day pre-sale special pricing, and the paperback will be available on Amazon in mid-November. For more information about Szigeti and her new book, you can visit her website www.youcantoutrunyourfork.com, follow her on Instagram at @dr_anya_fm or @youcantoutrunyourfork, or email her at youcantoutrunyourfork@gmail.com