SPC alumna lands HSN internship, debuts on Wendy Williams show #SPCInspires

SPC alumna Destinee Bullard and Erin Marty working this summer on HSN internship

St. Petersburg College graduate, Destinee Bullard, made her television debut on the Wendy Williams show during an HSN internship this summer.

After graduating from St. Petersburg College in 2015, with an Associate of Arts degree focusing on Mass Communications, Destinee transferred to the University of Florida where she is a senior public relations major. She is currently completing a summer internship in the Home Shopping Network’s public relations department.

“It’s so much fun here,” Destinee said. “I’m learning a lot about public relations that is helping me figure out future career plans.”

During her summer break, she also works part time in SPC’s Marketing and Strategic Communications department where she worked as a social media intern while a student at SPC. She credits SPC for providing her the tools and skills needed to land the HSN internship.

“St. Petersburg College set the foundation for any internship that I do in the future,” Destinee said. “I gained a lot of experience in SPC’s marketing department that I can execute at any public relations job I receive.”

Learning the ropes at HSN internship

Destinee and another intern were selected to model clothing from Wendy Williams’ fashion line during their HSN internship. They were featured in their own segments during the live television show.

“It was such an amazing experience,” she said. “It was also so cool to see how HSN prepares for a big show like this.”

She considers the connections she’s made while at St. Petersburg College key to her ongoing success.

“I give a lot of credit to the faculty and staff at St. Petersburg College who pushed me to do what I thought was impossible,” Destinee said. “I am so proud to say that my career started here.”

Associate in the Arts degree for Mass Communications

Classes in Mass Communications prepare students for careers in journalism and a variety of media platforms including web, print, audio and video. Students will explore new technology issues, current events, and the importance of diversity and ethics in media writing.

The following classes are offered to students who are seeking a transferable two-year degree in mass communications:

• MMC 2000 (Introduction to Mass Communications)
  • MMC2100 (Writing for the Mass Media)

A Mass Communications internship is available to students at St. Petersburg College. The internship is a supervised and provides a practical learning experience in the workplace with experience in Mass Communications. It also gives students the opportunity to build professional skills and valuable connections.

Learn more about how #SPCInspires.