Welcome to the summer of 2020, the year of technology and physical distancing. But the SPC Theater Department is determined to have a “the show must go on” mentality!
Instead of doing its usual summer production, the Theater Department is going to tackle three plays by casting an ensemble of 20–22 actors, stage managers, and techs who will be involved in each of the plays in some way. The approach is going to be more like a “radio” play with an emphasis on the voice and sound. The Theater Department will also need stage managers for each of the plays and one or two “Foley” (live sound effect) artists. The current breakdown is actors (10 female/7 male, 3 stage managers, and 2 techs).
The plays that have been chosen are:
- When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet by Charles George (directed by Katrina Stevenson)
- The Actor’s Nightmare by Christopher Durang (directed by Scott Cooper)
- The Rimers of Eldritch* by Lanford Wilson (directed by Scott Cooper)
*This play is adult in nature, to be expected at the college level. Parents of high school students, please be aware of this before you sign on for the play.
When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet and The Actor’s Nightmare are both one-acts and will be “performed” the evenings of June 11–13, three performances each. The Rimers of Eldritch will be “performed” on the evenings of June 25-27, three performances. All performances will take place on ZOOM.
A few details, with exact information TBD:
- Rehearsals and performances will happen on ZOOM, with rehearsals taking place from 10:00AM–12:00PM, Monday through Friday.
- Participants will need to have access to a mic, web camera, and Wi-fi/internet.
- Auditions will be virtual, and you will record two contrasting monologues and submit them.
To audition as an actor, please fill out the online web survey. Anyone interested in signing up for Technical Theater Students ZOOM Interviews (stage managers/Foley Artists/tech) can also register online for an available time slot.
- If you are cast as part of the ensemble, you will be required to take on the roles assigned.
- At this time, we are not sure if things will need to be completely memorized—but fully acted. We will also play around with some virtual blocking, which could be fun!
This is going to be open to high school students and college students who are not SPC students. You will need to sign up for a class and the fee will be $115.00 (for both SPC students and non-students).
Is this theater? Perhaps. Is this something you can learn to grow as a performer or a theater collaborator? Absolutely.