SPC Theater Presents Medea

spc theater

This spring, St. Petersburg College‘s Theater Department presents its production of Euripides’ Medea, in a new translation by Nicholas Rudall. Medea is a Greek tragedy about a woman who has been scorned by her husband and takes very extreme measures to get her revenge on him. Written in 431 B.C., this play is both lyrical and horrific in content.

With a cast of 18, this production marks my return to the stage in the role of Creon, which is also double cast with a student. My last foray onto the stage was at SPC in 2001 in Bus Stop. I am not really one to be on stage any more, but students are always asking me when they would get to see me act, and this play just seemed a good time to take the chance and get back out there. I will also be designing the set for Medea, which will include thousands of candles onstage.

spc theater
Model of Medea set

This production also marks the return of Betty Jane Parks as director. Park’s last directed our production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and students are excited to work with her again.

SPC Theater will perform Medea March 27-31 at the Arts Auditorium on the Clearwater Campus. My performances will be March 27 – 30 at 7:30 p.m. as well as March 30 – 31 at 2 p.m. An open dress rehearsal also will be held on March 26 at 7:30 p.m. SPC students, faculty and staff are free; general admission is $10.

4 thoughts on “SPC Theater Presents Medea

1. Hi Christina – Sorry for any confusion. The information for the showtimes has been updated in the post. Performances will be March 27 – 30 at 7:30 p.m. as well as March 30 – 31 at 2 p.m. An open dress rehearsal also will be held on March 26 at 7:30 p.m.

1. Medea was moving! Rollercoaster ride of emotions in this Greek tragedy. Visually stunning too. Would love to know where I can get pictures.