SPC Prof Joins Art Board

a colorful floral mural adorns the side of a building under a blue, lightly cloudy sky
The Clearwater City Council recently appointed St. Petersburg College faculty member, Dr. Greg Byrd, to the City of Clearwater Public Art and Design Advisory Board. The Public Art & Design Advisory Board is responsible for overseeing the Public Art & Design Program and works with city staff to establish the criteria, policies and priorities of the program. Byrd said that even before the appointment, he has had several opportunities to serve the city. “I was involved in a workshop called “Healing Words: Poetry for Cancer Patients” at Morton Plan Hospital, giving discussions and poetry workshops, as well as judging essay and poetry contests,” Byrd said. “I was also very happy to be asked to compose and read a poem for the dedication of the SPC-Clearwater Community library.”
Headshot of Professor Gregory Byrd in a dark shirt and vest.
Dr. Greg Byrd
Byrd, who teaches writing, composition and literature, is a published author who has been nominated for a prestigious Pushcart Prize, and his poetry and prose have appeared widely, recently in Apalachee Review and forthcoming in Saw Palm. He is currently working on two World War I novels: Where Shadow Meets Water, about a pilot from Florida, and Long Train Home to Scarborough, about a reporter and a nurse. His poetry chapbook, The Name of the God Who Speaks, won the Robert Phillips Prize from Texas Review Press. He said that as a longtime Clearwater resident, he is honored by the appointment. “I hope that my experience in travel and teaching humanities will allow me to offer insight to the Board,” he said. “I want to connect the city to the talented professors and students in the arts, music and theatre programs at SPC who create art on a continual basis. I hope that anyone who has ideas for how to contribute to Clearwater’s public art will contact me so that I can convey those ideas to the rest of the board.”