Categories Menu

Posted by on Oct 31, 2018 in College 101 | 0 comments

What’s All This About a Major?

What’s All This About a Major?

So let’s just cut to the chase. You decide that you’re going to major in communications. Great! Better yet, it’s going to be communications with a focus in advertising. Great! You then see an advisor, have the perfect learning plan created and proceed to earning your degree with no wasted time or money. Again I say…Great! 

All of it, absolutely amazing, you’ve managed to do what many struggle with and for that, I give you props *clapping, clapping*. 

Now, for just about everyone else still struggling to decide on a major in the first place… YOU ARE ALSO AMAZING!  Yes, it’s great having a plan, but that doesn’t mean you should rush into it. There are some things to consider first.

1. Choosing a major is not the same as choosing a career. Let me explainYour major could be something like Psychology. Psychology. Does that scream “POLICE OFFICER” to you? Not to me either, but you CAN get into that field with such a degree. Look, if you’re considering a certain subject of interest…try this: Google “What jobs can I get with psychology (for example)”…you’ll see what I mean.
  2. You CAN change majors – but NOT SO FAST! I’ve often said that it’s okay to relax because you can usually change majors up to two times before you’re in the professional student zone. However, you should remember that if you are going to change your major, you may need more courses, which means more time in school, which means more money spent. So, be sure to examine and really think about all the prerequisites for that major of choice before hunkering down.
  3. Try not to hit 60. Okay, remember what I said about possibly needing more courses if you decide to switch majors? Well… If you can choose a major, or switch up before the 60 credit mark, you save stress and money. Waiting longer than a year could result in you taking multiple unnecessary courses.

I know it can be stressful trying to decide what to focus on for the next four (or more) years of your life – especially when it feels like everyone’s breathing down your neck about itBut try not to buckle under the pressure.

Quick Tip

If you’re truly stumped as to what to do with the rest of your life, try checking out your college’s Career Services department. They offer lots of ways to find a career you’re interested in, get you registered for that major, then help you with your resume, finding an internship and/or a job.

Post a Reply

© 2018 St. Petersburg College | Legal Notices