Categories Menu

Posted by on Feb 26, 2020 in College 101 | 0 comments

Phi Theta Kappa Works for You

Phi Theta Kappa Works for You

Since it’s Phi Theta Kappa Awareness Week, I wanted to take a moment to talk about my reasons for joining the organization and explain how it has helped me in my journey to attain my bachelor’s degree at St. Petersburg College. When I first joined PTK, I was like many people who initially feel that PTK membership was just something that I could put on my resume and a way to get cool graduation attire. That was before I had the chance to learn what PTK actually is!

My research into the organization showed that PTK was a lot more than a way to access scholarships and get graduation regalia. In my eyes, Phi Theta Kappa is an organization that wants to help its members be the best scholars, leaders and people that they can be. They are an enabler of dreams, comprised of individuals who want to genuinely change the lives of people in their community and beyond. PTK is an organization of deep thinkers and people who feel that they have a responsibility to stand at the front of change and make a difference. It is also a group dedicated to ensuring that its members have the ability to succeed in whatever they do. Learning all of these things made me reevaluate my reason for joining and pushed me to think about all of the ways that I could serve my community while excelling as a scholar and a leader.

I am now serving as the chapter president of St. Petersburg College’s Alpha Omega Beta Chapter of PTK, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to serve! It is my personal goal, and the shared goal of our officer team, to help our members succeed in their academic careers and beyond. We want to support your dreams, your efforts, and encourage your growth inside the classroom and out in the community.

Personally, after learning all of this and all of the wonderful things that PTK offers its members, including research opportunities, scholarships and soft skills training, I decided to continue my college journey past my bachelor’s degree and into my master’s. I would encourage any and all college students to take part in their chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, and accept all the support and camaraderie that the organization offers.

Phi Theta Kappa

Lionel Plaisance is working on his bachelor’s degree in Cybersecurity at St. Petersburg College

Post a Reply

© 2020 St. Petersburg College | Legal Notices