It’s FAFSA time – and help is out there!
It’s tax time, which also means FAFSA time! Make sure you fill out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid and claim whatever funds may be available to help you finance your college education – AKA your future. And this time of year also brings many events to help clarify the process of application.
What you’ll need:
1. Tax Info: Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import income information from your most recent tax returns.
2. An FSA ID: An FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and is used to access all of your federal financial aid records. At least one parent of a dependent student must also have an FSA ID.
Five places to turn for help with your FAFSA:
1. Attend a FAFSA help event at your school or local college, where you can complete your FAFSA at the event. Check out some local connections for 2017 events. Sometimes incentives are offered to attendees, from pizza to a new iPad, either of which is a good thing!
2. Explore the FAFSA website. There you will find that you will be guided step-by-step through the application process, with explanations and tips offered along the way. It really is as easy as following directions.
3. Meet with someone who knows what’s up. Talk to your guidance counselor or college advisor to ask for help with things like gathering information or filling out the forms.
4. Check out our other blog posts on this topic, like De-mystifying FAFSA and FAFSA: The Details. These posts offer FAFSA help by giving you the step-by-step information you’ll need to take in order to apply for Federal aid.
5. Check out these FAFSA videos, which are designed to answer questions about FAFSA. This resource answers very specific questions – some of which may be your own.