Categories Menu

Posted by on Sep 11, 2018 in College 101 | 0 comments

Cheating Is Bad – We all know it

Cheating Is Bad – We all know it

Freeze!

Gotcha!

Innocent until proven guilty right? Wrong. For the sake of this article, let’s just pretend we are all guilty. How did we up here in the first place, and what happens if we get caught?! I don’t want to get caught! Wait no…I don’t even want to do this. Seriously, how did we get here?

Here is what happened:

Our *insert subject* paper was due two nights ago and, of course, we turned it in on time. The problem is that it wasn’t our paper we turned in! Well, it kind of was…I mean our name is on it and we fixed it up so… it’s ours, right? Anyway, the professor hasn’t put the grades in yet and hasn’t said anything to us about it. Does that mean we’re clear? I don’t know. I’m biting my nails off just thinking about this whole thing! I swear, if we get caught it’s all over….

PAUSE

It really could be, “all over.

Plagiarizing is Cheating

By now, if you’re reading this, you probably already know what plagiarism is. However, just in case…

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, plagiarism is, “to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one’s own use (another’s production) without crediting the source.”

Not very noble is it? Yet still, it’s quite easy to either do it without realizing or, well, to just do it. What’s sad is that in scenarios like the one captured above, it is highly likely that we are going to get caught. What’s worse is that we probably don’t realize how badly this could end. I have heard people say that cheating is pretty easy in college.“Pfft! Yeah right!” And yes, plagiarism is a form of cheating. It isn’t worth the risk. The penalties for plagiarizing in college range from an automatic F on that assignment to being asked to leave the institution entirely. Expelled!

DO NOT RISK IT.

Save Yourself

Before ending up at the bottom of a plagiarism pit, remember to double check. Did you cite? Did you summarize? Have you referenced your quotes? These are things to consider BEFORE turning in your work. If you have trouble with references and citations, seek help from your student learning center OR check out the Purdue Owl website. There are ways to evade self- sabotage. Oh, and if this isn’t an accident and you actually want to plagiarize, DON’T.

Cheating During a Test

Did anyone else think we’d be past cheating in college? I sure did. Look… things get difficult yes, and times are hard yes, but cheating during a test should never be an option. These are risks that put your education in jeopardy! And we know that it’s all fun until someone gets caught. Find a study buddy or, if you’re like me and prefer to study on your own, find some discipline! There are times I don’t want to study when I know that really should but in those moments, I think of the test and what it would feel like if I failed. You catch my drift…I choose to study. I study until I get it and find help if I ever need to. Cheating can get you an F and possibly kicked out of the class. Really, it’s not worth it.

This blog post is mostly a reminder to give yourself time and study ahead, because the consequences of cheating are much more severe than those of failing an assignment or a test. If you’re in a tight spot and don’t understand a thing, There is help available – some colleges, like St. Petersburg College, even offer free tutoring both online and in person, so you can get help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. So just lay down some of your pride and go see a tutor.  Double check your papers to be sure that you haven’t plagiarized, and again, don’t cheat on that test.

Post a Reply

© 2019 St. Petersburg College | Legal Notices