Categories Menu

Posted by on Aug 29, 2018 in College 101, College Tips | 0 comments

Adulting in College: Bills and Priorities

I know what you may be thinking but, yes…this is a necessary post. College life can be a tricky thing, but it can also be pretty simple. Getting your college bills and priorities straight ensures that you have more money, fun and peace of mind.

Did you ever really stop to think about what you would be like as college/working class human? I didn’t either. For a while, free-navigating college seemed to work perfectly for me…until it didn’t. Eventually, I needed help, and any advice I could get was welcome.

Let me preface by saying that I didn’t know ‘adulting’ was a thing until way after I graduated high school. It’s a thing. Basically, this word covers everything that comes with being an adult, like paying your own bills (and on time!), being responsible for your own actions, being responsible with your actions etc. Now, while the word itself is a little odd to some, it’s concept is nothing new so let’s talk about ‘adulting’ in college AND how to get it right!

…………………………………………………………………….

BILLS 

Ruuuunnnnn!!!!!

No wait! Come back! We can do this!

If you’re in college, these three tips are for you. Money manged= Bills managed=Better life.

Tip#1- Scholarships: When writing about money, it would be remiss of me not to mention SCHOLARSHIPS, which allow you to line your coffers with free money! Too many students miss out on scholarship opportunities throughout the year when there is a bountiful host of them just waiting for you! Do me a favor and look into your college’s tuition and financial aid. Googling outside scholarships can also reveal even more that can be applied to your degree.

Tip#2- Log Book: Now I know this may seem a bit extreme for some, but having a book dedicated to bills alone can help you keep track of what needs to be paid and when. You can make a budget by listing all your bills for the month, noting the date on which you will pay them, note how much will be left over, and smugly marking them off when paid. It’s very satisfying! This can also help with saving if you plan ahead, in the same log book (about a month or at least a couple weeks) in advance when it comes to buying things you actually need.

Tip#3- Billing Account/ Envelope: Hear me out, it’s all about being proactive. If you don’t already do this, consider opening a separate account to which money automatically goes every time you get paid. Over time, the money adds up and can act as a cushion for bills when needed. And while I wouldn’t recommend this, I know some people like to save in cash, so if that is you, apply the same saving technique. Whenever you’ve been paid, put a certain amount into a separate envelope. It adds up…there’s your cushion.

NB: Some banks do allow you to arrange automatic payments to various companies that you may be billing with. Looking into this with your bank may also prove extremely beneficial in the long run.

…………………………………………………………………….

PRIORITIES

Need I say more?

YES.

Alright, so it’s Sunday night and your paper is due at 11:30 p.m. It is now 9:00 p.m. and you’re doing great right? One paragraph – check! Now what?! UGHHHH!!! Pause. Time to break out the coffee, get the music going and GET. IN. THE. ZONE.

The above scenario is an absolutely terrible place to find yourself and unfortunately, I’ve been there. Let’s get real…Let’s get this right!

Tip#1- Tell him or her to call you later! You know who I’m talking about. If the call can last hours and you have work to do, put those hours into work and check in with them a little later.

Tip#2- Put that show on pause until submission is complete. I promise, you won’t miss a thing. Okay so you might, but between the show and your work, which one gives you money in the end?

Tip#3- DON’T DO IT! (Not yet at least). Yeah, I know – going out tonight sounds appealing and all, but you and I both know that the chances of you finishing this assignment when you get home are slim. Just get your work done, then go right ahead and live it up! You only live once, right?

While I understand that these tips might have been more like reminders for some of you, I do hope that they helped.

Stay tuned for the next addition to this series, “Adulting in College 101: Friends and Foes.”

Post a Reply

© 2019 St. Petersburg College | Legal Notices