We are excited about the upcoming SPC Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Days of Service.
At St. Petersburg College, we again will be honoring Dr. King’s legacy on this national day of service by participating in volunteer opportunities throughout the county on MLK Day and throughout the month of January.
The Center for Civic Learning & Community Engagement (CCLCE) would like to encourage all SPC faculty, students and staff to be involved in the SPC Month of Service in support of the MLK Day of Service.
Last year, the MLK Day of Service inspired hundreds of thousands all over the country to come together to serve their communities. Indeed, volunteers in Pinellas County and beyond refurbished schools and community centers, collected food and clothing, recruited mentors, completed home improvements for the elderly, and more. As part of this national effort, let’s continue SPC’s leadership role in community service as a shining example for others.
There are two ways you are encouraged to get involved:
1. You may volunteer to participate as part of five SPC planned events on Friday, Jan. 17 and Monday, Jan. 20
- 8-9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; Friday, Jan. 17
Florida Dream Center
Human Trafficking Seminar
SPC Allstate Center
3200 34th St. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
- 9-11 a.m.; Friday, Jan. 17
Metro Inclusive Grounds Project
3251 Third Ave. North
St. Petersburg, FL 33713
- 1-3 p.m.; Friday, Jan. 17
Tarpon Springs Shepherd Center
304 South Pinellas Ave.
Tarpon Springs, FL 34689
- 5-9 p.m.; Friday, Jan. 17
SPC Music Center
Student Step Show and Contest
- 8 a.m. – noon; Monday, Jan. 20
SPC Bay Pines STEM Center
4723 Bay Pines Terrace, St. Petersburg
Installation of upland and wetland plants to help restore the habitat
2. If you are familiar with other organizations in your community with volunteer opportunities available, you may commit to a day of service with the organization of your choice throughout the county during the month of January. Use this search tool to find a volunteer opportunity in your area of Pinellas County: www.nationalservice.gov/serve/search.
Please report your volunteer hours by using the Center for Civic Learning & Community Engagement’s “Engage for Change” survey measurement tool at web.spcollege.edu/survey/28979.
Please note that the college and all of our locations will be closed on Monday, January 20, with the exception of Bay Pines for their MLK Day of Service event.