At the monthly Board of Trustees meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 21, SPC President Bill Law requested that the two science labs at the new Bay Pines STEM Center be named in honor of Dr. John Chapin, former dean of Natural Sciences, who passed away earlier this month.
Law also requested that the Women on the Way Center on the Tarpon Springs Campus be named in honor of Mrs. Maria Edmonds, former Associate Provost of the Tarpon Springs Campus and the first Coordinator of Women on the Way, who passed away in January.
A motion was made and the board unanimously approved both requests.
The official names will be:
• The Dr. John M. Chapin Science Labs at St. Petersburg College’s Bay Pines STEM Center
• The Maria Nieves Edmonds Women on the Way Center at the Tarpon Springs Campus
Also at the meeting:
• Dr. Rich Mercadante, President of the Faculty Governance Organization updated on the FGO union topic, faculty and deans collaboration on course scheduling and a proposal for a social services coordinator.
• Dr. Jesse Coraggio, Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness and Academic Services, gave a presentation showing that historical data over the last two years shows the college may see an enrollment decrease of 3.5 percent for the 2017-18 academic year.
• Dr. Kevin Gordon, Provost of the Downtown and Midtown Centers, and Diana Sabino, Executive Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications, gave a presentation on marketing, recruitment and outreach efforts. Efforts include creation of a recruitment committee; improvement of preadmissions onboarding; development of new recruiting initiatives for target populations; significant increase in presence in high schools; weekly success monitoring.
• The BOT approved the academic calendar for the 2018-19 academic year. View the calendar: Academic_Calendar-2018-19
• Dr. Susan Colaric gave an update on online revitalization and retention efforts.