Memorial Day remembered at SPC

Members of student veterans associations at the Seminole and St. Petersburg/Gibbs campuses remembered those who died while serving in the military at Memorial Day ceremonies last week.

A “Field of Flags” was planted at the Seminole Campus as a tribute to the fallen. Association members held a memorial flag raising at the quad at the St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus.

Marc Davis, a SPC student veteran and a member of the SVA at the St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus, wrote this address for the group’s 1st  Annual Memorial Day Address:

As we prepare to observe Memorial Day this year, let us take a moment to look back and reflect upon the reasons why this day is so sacred to so many Americans. Memorial Day is a day that we are meant to pay tribute to the memory of those who “made the ultimate sacrifice” by laying down their lives while defending not only their fellow comrades in arms, but our great nation
as a whole. The courage of the brave men and women who answered the call to duty shall forever be revered and honored.

From the battlefields of the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Beirut, Panama, Somalia, Iraq,
Afghanistan and countless others where American heroes laid down their lives, comes a cry from their spirits: “Let us not be forgotten. Do not let my sacrifice be in vain.” Our pledge to those spirits is “No my brother, we will not forget you.” This is a solemn promise from those of us who had the honor to stand side by side with these great Americans. With this promise, we are bound forever by blood to uphold.

In this day and age, it can be said that many Americans have forgotten the true meaning of this special day. For some, it’s just another day off of work; for others, a day at the beach or a barbeque. This is not what Memorial Day is supposed to be about. Let us embrace the true meaning of Memorial Day once again and demand that those who went on before us be given the respect and honor they so truly deserve. It is with these words I ask that you take time this Memorial Day to give thanks and honor the memory of the fallen. It is with these actions that we, as Americans, can be united in cause and heal as a country, not as individuals.

It is with these closing words that I say once again to my departed brothers and sisters “I have not forgotten, I will never forget.”