Be a Mentor and Change a Life!

Mentor-1734259-1024x660SPC and Pinellas County Schools have partnered to provide SPC student and staff mentors to underserved schools in the district.

If you’re thinking… I just don’t have the time. Or, maybe you’re asking… What would I talk about? Does mentoring really make a difference? Pinellas County Schools Mentoring Program has made it easy for you! You have the choice to be either a Lunch mentor for elementary age students or a Take Stock Mentor for middle school students that also offers scholarships and college preparatory support.

Mentors meet with students during lunch once a week for thirty-minutes, and only when school is in session. Mentors attend a training workshop, given plenty of resources and activity ideas. District and school personnel are always on hand to support mentors but their most important job is to show up, listen and be a caring friend.

In one student’s words “My mentor came into my life and provided structure, did things with me that my parents couldn’t do. Read to me, listened and talked with me, and kept me focus on things I needed to do. My mentor helped me gain the confidence I never thought I would have.”

Students who have mentors are more likely to graduate from high school, enroll in college or a vocational school, and are more willing to participate in sports, and other afterschool activities. With renewed confidence students with mentors hold leadership roles in school and are better able to advocate for themselves. These positive relationship outcomes benefit not only the student, but their families, the mentor and the community.

In addition to the student’s parents; another consistent presence in a child’s life can make all the difference in the world.

For more information, join the next training session on Thursday August 25th at 12:30 pm on the Downtown Campus room 210.